Sunday, April 4, 2010

My first Seder Experience

When I was six weeks and one day old, I celebrated my first Passover Seder with Mommy, Daddy, their friends, and their friends' parents. I have to admit, I'm a little bit confused about Passover Seders.

All other nights, I go to bed between seven and nine. But that night I didn't really go to bed at all! I took little naps, but the excitement kept me awake. There were all these different steps to dinner and some people were speaking and singing in English and Hebrew. No one knows yet, but I understand and speak both languages perfectly, I've just taken a vow of silence.

Anyway, Seder means "ordered", kind of like my parents hope my schedule will become in the next few weeks and months. First you sanctify a cup of wine, then you wash your hands, then you dip a vegetable in salt water, then you tell a story, then you eat matzah, then you eat the bitter herbs (yuck!), then you have a giant meal, then you thank G-d for the meal, then we all sing our praise to G-d for the miracles that took place when he took the ancient Hebrews out of Egypt, and then we eat some more matzah. Mommy and Daddy also drank four big glasses of wine and were acting pretty wacky. Then again, Daddy is always a little wacky (just not from four glasses of wine).

I don't mean to skip around, but mommy also lit candles for the holiday before the meal started, and those bright lights really helped keep me awake, too!

The Seder meal is very confusing. I asked a lot of questions--why is this night different from all other nights? Why do we talk about four different sons, the wise, wicked, simple, and one who doesn't know how to ask? (So far, I'm a very wise son)? Why isn't Moses mentioned at all in the passover Seder when he was the main star of the Exodus? Why does it take so long? All of these questions have really good answers, but it sounds like the older grown-ups like to skip to the end. When I'm older, I'll make sure I get answers! I'll make sure I ask even more questions! This time, I kept asking questions, but mommy and daddy tried to put me to sleep everytime.

Next year, G-d willing, I'll be able to crawl around and look for a piece of matzah called the afikomen, which has to be eaten before midnight. This is going to be difficult, I know, so I'll start training now!

Looking forward to seeing you all at my next passover Seder!

Good yontiv
(Happy Holiday),

Yonah Meir Weinberg

No comments:

Post a Comment